Tameside football Christmas and New Year round up



Boxing day
Hyde FC 2 Stalybridge Celtic 4

Hyde did start brightly, and for the opening quarter of an hour were on top, with Ted Cribley firing wide then straight ta Lewis King, before King was properly tested with a dipping effort from Tom Bentham that King tipped over for a corner.

Celtic then started to get in it, taking control of the gameDominic Calvert-Lewin  unleashed a great drive when one-on-one with Hunt, Hunt making a great stop. The ball bounced up and started trundling towards the line and it looked like he might get there to keep it out, when in ran Kevin Holsgrove to toe-poke home and score against his former club.
Stalybridge Celtic needed to keep it tight in the opening minutes, but the half time talk worked better for the home side, and Hyde got right back in it with a simple goal, a cross in from the left, Matt Regan wrong footed by Tom Bentham’s first touch and he rifled home unchallenged.

For a little while, it looked like Celtic had gone backwards, but a  strike from Scott Kerr brought them right back into the game, when Kerr saw Hunt off his line and lobbed him with a forty yard effort. It was over Hunt’s outstretched hand, but came crashing back off the crossbar, Lewin then followed the shot in.Seconds later, and Celtic scored again, Matt Regan, moved into midfield, provided a perfect curling cross behind the defence that Lewin met perfectly giving Hunt no chance.

Another goal was only a matter of time, and it was Celtic taking the proverbial from the Hyde defence, with Charlie Ennis and Dominic Calvert-Lewin swapped passes almost at will before Ennis tired of playing with the defenders and slotted home.

Hyde were given a way back into the game when there was some kind of altercation after Matty Hughes shepherded the ball out. The man advantage galvanised Hyde, and they fashioned three chances with Luke Givernin and Louis Almond both forcing King into routine stops, and Givernin finally beat King, only for Stefan Galinski to clear off the line. From the corner, there was a lot of pressure, resulting in two more corners, from the third, sheer persistence saw Connor Hughes forced the ball over the line.

With fifteen minutes left, Hyde did go looking for a third, but never looked likely to get it until right at the end when Givernin’s cracking effort was tipped over the bar at full stretch by a Lewis King.

Colwyn Bay 3 Hyde FC 3
A goal in the third minute of added time denied injury-hit Colwyn Bay victory in a 3-3 draw against Hyde.
In the first half Hyde played well,  hit the post and went close on a couple of other occasions, before taking the lead
The second half saw five goals and on  71 minutes Colywn Bay took the lead when Obi Anoruo shot on the turn past Hyde keeper Connor Hunt after a free kick had been played into him on the edge of the area.The lead, however, lasted only five minutes before Hyde equalised, when a mishit Connor Hughes shot was turned in by Tom Bentham. However Colwyn Bay scored again with a brilliant goal by Anoruo in the 85th minute, but deep into added time Cribley got his second of the game from a corner, with his shot taking a couple of deflections in a crowded goalmouth and the game ended with honours even and a hard won point for Hyde.

New Years Day

Stalybridge Celtic 7 - 1 Hyde FC

The game started Hyde looking  bright and breezy with no sign of events to come. In their first attack, Luke Giverin was allowed time and space down the left to pick out his cross over the Celtic defence that had got back to the unmarked Tom Bentham at the back post to nod home with the simplest of goals.It was nearly doubled moments later when Chris Almond danced inside and fired off a low effort that Lewis King did well to get down to and hold.

It was twenty minutes in that Celtic got going. It started with a scissor kick just wide by Kevin Holsgrove from Ben McKenna’s whipped in cross. Seconds later, and Hyde didn’t clear a corner, letting Scott Kerr to drop the ball back into the mix, Matty Hughes flicked the ball between defenders for Charlie Ennis to run onto and smash the ball past Connor Hunt. The rest of the half Celtic overran Hyde time and again, Kerr’s effort was well caught by Hunt, while Holsgrove fired narrowly wide after being put into a good position. Just before the interval, Ben McKenna twice went close, the first effort was a routine stop from Hunt the second a full stretch tip around the post after McKenna went one-on-one.

In The second half Celtic carried on the pressure, and Matt Regan’s ball over the top was raced onto by Dominic Calvert-Lewin, one-on-one with Hunt made no mistake and slid the ball past Hunt to put Celtic into a 2-1 lead. Moments later and there was a two goal cushion when Lewin was brought down with a clumsy tackle by Alex McQuade, who got a yellow card, despite  denying Lewin a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

That opportunity was restored with a top drawer penalty from Ennis. Kevin Holsgrove then made his way down the wing and put in a stunning forty yard curling pass right into the path of Ennis who took one touch and  scored the first hattrick by a Celtic player since Phil Marsh’s in 2011 against Vauxhall.

James Cadman came on as sub and promptly fired a shot past Hunt to give Celtic a four goal cushion going into the last ten minutes. Celtic were not finished yet and scored twice more the first was a Lewin ball over the top for substitute Darius Osei to rise up to meet and head powerfully home with only his second touch since coming on. The final goal came again from James Cadman, who picked the perfect angle to put the ball beyond the reach of Hunt with the easiest of side footed goals.

The win not only put Celtic’s negative goal difference but also took the out of the bottom three.


Curzon Ashton went down 4-0 at home to FC United of Manchester.
There was a real buzz around the Tameside Stadium for this meeting ,in front of a bumber crowd of 1,100 , both sets of fans were in fine voice, attempting to spur their team on.4-0 was harsh on Curzon, who had perhaps created the greater chances but could not match the clinical finishing of their opponents.

The first Ashton derby of 2015 finished with honours even after a full blooded game with no quarter asked and non-given by either side. Curzon had to play for an hour with ten men after Joe Guest was sent off.

Curzon had the first use of the strong wind blowing down the ground and Sam Walker tested  Sam Modlinsky in the Ashton goal with a drive which the keeper gathered easily enough in the opening minute.
Ashton then created their first chance, but Cameron Mason, standing in for flu victim Hakan Burton, made an equally comfortable save as both

With Curzon applying the early pressure it an early goal looked likely, but it was Ashton who scored it against the run of play. Modlinsky launched a kick forward and the ball somewhat fortuitously fell into the path of Martin Pilkington, but Pilkington made the most of his chance, riding two challenges before lashing the ball past Mason to put the home side in front.

Curzon though were level 90 seconds later after forcing a corner form the kick off. The ball went straight up in the air off the woodwork and Niall Cummins slammed it home from close range as it dropped to make it 1-1.

Lee Rick then curled another free kick wide of the goal, a wasted effort with the ball in a central position, but then ten minutes before the interval, Curzon were reduced to ten men after Joe Guest received a straight red card.
Despite having a man advantage, Ashton failed to capitalise and Curzon still had plenty of possession but struggled to trouble the home defence with Cummins ploughing a lone furrow up front, and this situation continued in the second half, with the Blues absorbing pressure with little difficulty, a deflected shot by Ashley Young the only Ashton effort to cause any concern in the opening 15 minutes of the second half. Curzon then made a double substitution which paid immediate dividends. Luke Horrocks and Ryan Brooke replaced Cummins and Matty Warburton, and 90 seconds later Curzon were in front as Brooke drove a shot past Modlinsky from the edge of the box after he had taken his shot early following a terrific pass from Chris Rowney.

Ashton threw players forward in the dying minutes and were rewarded with three minutes of normal time remaining as Young was found on the left and he crossed low for Johnson who deftly flicked the ball under Mason from close range to level the scores. Sensing Curzon were tiring from the heavy pitch and the extra effort from being a man short, United threw everyone forward in attempt to win the game in the five minutes of stoppage time, but Curzon stood firm and deservedly took a share of the spoils from the first league derby at Hurst Cross since March 1997, the game ended 2-2.



Droylsden went down 3-0 away at Northwich Victoria and were second best in all departments and can have no complaints in this boxing day fixture. Mossley ran out 3- 1 winners at New Mills

Droylsden ran out 3 -2 winners in the local derby against Salford City at thev Butchers Arms, and at times had to ride their luck somewhat, but it all made for a fantastic New Year’s Day spectacle which was watched from the stands by Paul Scholes and Phil Neville.

Ex-Man United forward Danny Webber showed his class and steered the ball beyond Russell Saunders to give the visitors the lead.

Ciaran Kilheeney went close for Droylsden as they applied the pressure. Droylsden’s then reaped the rewards in the  21st minute when Ben Deegan rose to head a Morning cross past Lloyd-Weston.

Droylsden then took the lead when a quick free kick set Michael Monaghan free down the right flank, crossing low for Kilheeney to steer home a shot inside Lloyd-Weston’s left hand upright from 15 yards. However, Salford levelled on the stroke of half-time as Seddon raced away down the right flank  before shooting home from an almost impossible angle across the mud. On 57 minutes, Droylsden again took the lead with what proved to be the winning goal.

Mossley beat Padiham 3-2 to complete the Boxing Day and New Years day fixtures with full points