Quick thinking eleven year old Joshua Schofield noticed a younger pupil choking during lunchtime at Manor Green Primary School.
The girl, from the reception class, was in severe difficulties and was choking on some food she had eaten.
Joshua, who is normally a quiet lad, stepped in to action and shouted to staff for help who were able to dislodge the food and clear the youngster's airwaves.
Allison Kellock, the Deputy head teacher at Manor green Primary School said, "we are so proud of Joshua, he managed to get someone to deal with the situation very quickly."
Joshua's mum said that he had recently undergone first aid training at 1st Haughton Green Scouts and had put that training into action.